Evaluation of vascular access device securement devices

0

Since the introduction of sutureless securement products for vascular access devices (VADs), there has been a great deal of discussion of their advantages and disadvantages in comparison with sutures” Ventura et al (2016).

Abstract:

Since the introduction of sutureless securement products for vascular access devices (VADs), there has been a great deal of discussion of their advantages and disadvantages in comparison with sutures. This includes questions related to VAD securement, patients’ comfort, infection control, user-friendliness and potential complications of using the device.

The literature review of the available evidence indicates the superiority of the novel sutureless devices in the aforementioned aspects. The authors collected data to further contribute in the analysis of the attributes of these products, namely Statlock™ and Grip-Lok™ (current devices). The authors then trialled, collected and analysed data from relevant healthcare practitioners on their perception of a novel sutureless 3M™ Tegaderm™ PICC/CVC Securement Device + Tegaderm™ I.V. Advanced Securement Dressing (trialled device) for midline VADs. Evaluation forms have been provided and filled in by the practitioners. The results showed that the trialled product is perceived as user-and patient-friendly, resulting in increased security of VAD and easier handling compared to the current devices. Overall, 70% of the evaluators stated that the trialled product has better or much better overall performance. The remaining 30% characterised the overall performance comparable with the current devices.

Reference:

Ventura, R., O’Loughlin, C. and Vavrik, B. (2016) Clinical evaluation of a securement device used on midline catheters. British Journal of Nursing. 25(14), p.S16–S22.

DOI: 10.12968/bjon.2016.25.14.S16.

Thank you to our partners for supporting IVTEAM

Share.

Comments are closed.

Free Email Updates
Join 5.5K IVTEAM members. Subscribe now and be the first to receive all the latest free updates from IVTEAM!
100% Privacy. We don't spam.