Intravenous products: Nine products have been selected as winners in the Smart Solutions for HCAI competition to find new ways to help combat healthcare associated infections (HCAIs).
They have been chosen from around 250 applications submitted to the Smart Solutions for HCAI programme, which aimed to identify innovative technologies from different industry sectors with the potential to fight hospital bugs. The winning products will all be evaluated in a hospital setting beginning in early 2009, with a view to supplying them across the NHS if they prove to be effective.
The successful products, and the companies behind them, are:
- V-link luer-activated device with VitalShield protective coating – Baxter Healthcare
- UV Lighting Equipment Range – UV Light Technology Ltd
- Medixair – GE Healthcare
- The AD (air disinfection unit) – Inov8 Science Ltd
- AirManager, driven by Close Coupled Field Technology (CCFT) – Quest International (UK) Ltd
- Recombinase Polymerase Amplification – TwistDx
- MedMat – Ergomedica
- Liquid glass layering technology – Nanopool
- Formula 429 and Formula 429 plus – Chemspec