Sodium chloride overdose child death settled for $8.25 million


Intravenous news: The Daily Hearld reports “A Chicago couple whose infant son died from an overdose of sodium chloride at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital settled their wrongful death suit against

the Park Ridge facility Thursday for $8.25 million. Genesis Burkett weighed only 1 pound, 8 ounces. when he was born prematurely at 24 weeks on Sept. 6, 2010, but he had been making progress and doctors had discussed the possibility of him going home from for Christmas, said attorney Patrick A. Salvi, who represented parents Fritzie and Cameron Burkett in their lawsuit against the hospital.

In what Salvi called clearly an avoidable mistake, the baby  who was being treated in the hospitals neonatal intensive care unit died on Oct. 15, 2010, after receiving an intravenous bag filled with 60 times the dose ordered by his physician.”

Click here for the full story.

Main page


Comments are closed.