Potassium error caused death

0

A coroner has delivered a damning verdict after a series of medical blunders at Whiston Hospital left a grandmother dead. Mrs Alker, of Mountfield Court, Orrell, died at Whiston Hospital on September 26, 2003. She had been given a lethal dose of potassium chloride by student nurse Rebecca Riley, which resulted in her going into cardiac arrest. Riley had misunderstood the instructions of her supervisor, Sister Karen Edwardson, and had tried to deliver 20ml in five minutes instead of two hours.

She started to administer the drugs in Mrs Alker’s neck and was only stopped by another doctor after she had injected 15ml – which proved fatal.

Coroner, Mr Sumner slammed the training facilities at LJMU, expressing his concern that students were only given one lecture on intravenous drug administration and said that this was ‘hardly a good foundation’. The court heard that Rebecca Riley, who was only one week from qualifying, did not know that such a large dose of potassium chloride was potentially fatal.

Click here for the full story.
She started to administer the drugs in Mrs Alker’s neck and was only stopped by another doctor after she had injected 15ml – which proved fatal.

Coroner, Mr Sumner slammed the training facilities at LJMU, expressing his concern that students were only given one lecture on intravenous drug administration and said that this was ‘hardly a good foundation’. The court heard that Rebecca Riley, who was only one week from qualifying, did not know that such a large dose of potassium chloride was potentially fatal.

Click here for the full story.

Share.

Comments are closed.

Free Email Updates
Join 5.5K IVTEAM members. Subscribe now and be the first to receive all the latest free updates from IVTEAM!
100% Privacy. We don't spam.