Intravenous fluids accidentally leak into the abdomen of a premature baby

0

The BBC report “Parents of a premature baby, who died after six days, are considering legal action following a coroner’s conclusion his condition was misdiagnosed. Doctors initially thought Jackson Sellers-Mitchell had a bowel infection at a Norfolk hospital, but it was later found his drip was leaking internally. Norwich’s coroner concluded he died “due to a rare but recognised risk of necessary medical treatment”. The family’s solicitor said civil proceedings were an option.

The hearing was told Jackson was born at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King’s Lynn on 4 May after a 31-week pregnancy. His condition was complicated as he had struggled to breathe from birth and because he was unable to tolerate expressed breast milk, was put on the nutritional drip. The inquest heard he then developed abdominal swelling, which doctors at the Queen Elizabeth believed may have been caused by a bowel infection, for which he received treatment. However, when he failed to respond to the treatment, Jackson was transferred to the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital. Doctors there found there was no evidence of infection, but that the intravenous tube itself had been leaking.

Click here for the full news item.

Thank you to our partners for supporting IVTEAM

Share.

Comments are closed.

Free Email Updates
Join 5.5K IVTEAM members. Subscribe now and be the first to receive all the latest free updates from IVTEAM!
100% Privacy. We don't spam.