Intravenous news: The Evening Telegraph report “A hospital has apologised to the family of a man for “deficiencies” in his care which led to his death. Passionate Poppies supporter Bernard Bennett had an operation to remove an obstruction in his bowel at Kettering General Hospital in September 2008 but died from fluid overload three days later.
An inquest into his death was held in Kettering on Friday.
Mr Bennett, of St Catherine’s Road, Kettering, went to the hospital’s accident and emergency department on September 15, 2008, with abdominal pains. A CT scan revealed he had a bowel obstruction, which had been caused by a malignant melanoma. After an operation to remove it Mr Bennett, 76, was moved to the hospital’s extended care unit and over the following days was given intravenous fluids by different staff to try to control his blood pressure and because of concerns he was dehydrated.
However, he died in the early hours of September 15.
The hospital’s chief operating officer, Jayne Tunstall, said: “We would like to apologise to Mr Bennett’s family for the deficiencies in our care as outlined by the coroner and noted in our own internal investigation.
“We have learned lessons from this case and since 2008 we have re-emphasised the importance of record keeping with all staff, especially in respect of fluid balance”.