Enteral feed mistaken for IV

0

An 87-year-old bedridden man suffering the aftereffects of a brain hemorrhage died after a serving of his liquid diet was mistakenly fed into a vein via an intravenous drip instead of a feeding tube into his stomach by an assistant nurse of a hospital in Ibaraki, Osaka Prefecture, police said.

The 45-year-old assistant nurse of Yukoukai General Hospital admitted the error, saying that she was too busy to realize her mistake. The police are investigating the case on suspicion of professional negligence resulting in death.

According to the hospital, the nurse mistakenly attached a 250-milliliter package of liquid meal to the man’s intravenous drip tube at around 4 p.m. on Jan. 2. Another assistant nurse noticed the error about 30 minutes later, and a doctor undertook procedures to try to save the man’s life, but the man died about 90 minutes later.

Read the original news story here.

More IV news at IVTEAM

 

Share.

Comments are closed.

Free Email Updates
Join 5.5K IVTEAM members. Subscribe now and be the first to receive all the latest free updates from IVTEAM!
100% Privacy. We don't spam.