Distracted before IV drug error

0

Intravenous news: TheSouthernReporter.co.uk report ” Two nurses involved in a “dreadful mistake” which led to the death of a four-month-old baby at a Nottingham hospital have told an inquest that they could not explain how the error occurred. Nottingham Coroner’s Court heard that Samuel McIntosh died at the city’s Queen’s Medical Centre (QMC) in July last year after being given 10 times the prescribed dose of sodium chloride.

The hearing was told that Sister Karen Thomas and staff nurse Louisa Swinburn were “distracted” by another staff member as they prepared a solution to correct Samuel’s low salt levels. The Nottingham Coroner, Dr Nigel Chapman, was urged by the solicitor acting for Samuel’s parents to consider a verdict of unlawful killing. But Dr Chapman recorded a narrative verdict after ruling that Samuel died after a “drug error” on the high dependency unit at the QMC. As a result of the mistake, Samuel was wrongly given 50ml of a sodium chloride solution despite a registrar prescribing just 5ml.

Click here for the full story.

Main page

Share.

Comments are closed.

Free Email Updates
Join 5.5K IVTEAM members. Subscribe now and be the first to receive all the latest free updates from IVTEAM!
100% Privacy. We don't spam.